A road traffic collision in North London left Molly trapped in her car for a significant amount of time under a truck. With support from a variety of emergency services that were on scene that day to help her, including London’s Air Ambulance, Molly is making an excellent recovery. Six months later, she reflects on a surprise December afternoon, where she got to meet and thank the very same teams in person.

“Everything is really blurry from the incident, but one thing that really sticks in my mind is a voice from the London Fire Brigade saying to me while I was stuck: ‘everything is OK, we are going to get you out.’ I instantly had so much trust in them, and felt calmer knowing that people were working their hardest to do what they could for me.”

On 23 December 2015, Molly visited the London’s Air Ambulance helipad at The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, to meet its advanced trauma team and see the aircraft that she was airlifted back to the same hospital in. What she didn’t know, is that the teams from Enfield London Fire Brigade and Enfield Metropolitan Police that also helped her that day, would be there too.

“It was so emotional. I have always wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone for their support, their sheer determination, and for going out of their way to do everything they possibly could for me. It was amazing to be able to say it in person, as I never dreamed I would actually see them again.”

The Enfield London Fire Brigade presented Molly with a letter from its Borough Commander, Les Bowman, congratulating her for her bravery during the extrication.  

Molly says: “London can be an unfriendly place, where people are always too busy to interact and care for the people that they cross paths with daily. Equally, my incident has taught me that complete strangers can and will collaborate, and come to the aid of those who are in need. You hear stories of unlucky things happening to people a lot, but I never thought something like this would happen to me. It’s taught me to truly appreciate the people that are there for me every day.”

The injuries that Molly sustained included a displaced pelvis and a broken left leg in two places. London’s Air Ambulance attended to her by aircraft and administered pain relief on scene. She stayed in hospital for ten days after, and has since had 24 follow up out-patient appointments. Currently going through physiotherapy to gain more mobility back in her leg, she is slowly starting to build up strength again.

“Before my incident, I remember once seeing the London’s Air Ambulance helicopter land and I thought it was cool, but I didn’t really think much about why it might be there. Now when I see it I have a completely different feeling – a sense of pride and admiration for everything that the charity and the wider emergency services do every day.”

Molly’s admiration is evident by the fact that she has decided to enrol on a Paramedic Science degree, which she starts this September at Anglia Ruskin University. That same month, she will also be taking part in the London’s Air Ambulance Annual Abseil to raise funds for the charity. 

“My original plan was to go to university last autumn, but I had to defer my place so that I could recover properly. Before my incident I was interested in becoming a paramedic, but it was this and everything that has since entailed which has really spurred me on to apply. I wish no one ever goes through what I did, but I hope one day I can help someone, like how I was helped too.”

London’s Air Ambulance Depends on your support. Please consider joining our regular giving programme.


Back to Our Patients