Scott had been cycling the same commute to work from Wandsworth to Herne Hill for three years. What started out as an ordinary Thursday morning on 12th November, quickly turned into the unexpected when he was hit by a lorry, his left leg getting trapped underneath one of its wheels. Reflecting on his journey since – both physically and emotionally – Scott talks to London’s Air Ambulance about the incident, who he has to thank for support, and his new outlook on life. 

“I remember the accident really well, as well as all of the thoughts that crossed my mind as I laid there that day. I wondered if I would ever walk again, and played over in my mind scary ideas about what the future would hold.”

The injuries that Scott sustained included a broken right leg, a left knee cap broken into eight pieces, and significant tissue disease from crushing injuries. London’s Air Ambulance attended by aircraft and together with the London Ambulance Service, treated Scott by sedating him, providing adequate pain relief to allow for re-alignment, and to keep blood flowing to his broken leg. He was then taken by road ambulance to King’s College Hospital for further treatment.

A photo taken by Scott and his friends on the day of Scott's accident

“The accident had a big impact on me. I was meant to be going to Mexico a week later to see my family, but instead my parents took the first available flight to London to see me. My perception on life has completely changed.  I was very fit and active before and now things are more limited. My legs are really delicate and it’s hard to bend and stretch them. Little things like not being able to run to catch the bus can be frustrating too.”

Scott spent six weeks in hospital and has had seven operations in total, including a skin graft for fifty per cent skin loss to his left leg at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital. “It is amazing the support that I have received. If it wasn’t for London’s Air Ambulance getting to the scene so quickly then my injuries could have been a lot worse. Although progress has been slow, I am starting to feel like my normal self again. I started walking three months after the accident and started working again in April. I will be forever grateful for being able to do this.

“I always thought the saying ‘life can change in a second’ a bit cliché, but you only realise when something life-changing happens to you personally just how true this is. Thank you to all of the emergency services, the hospitals and health care teams that helped me, and to my friends, family and colleagues that supported me. You literally saved me.”

Scott leaves one final message: “I am going to try and see my friends and family more often now. I just want to see them as much possible, give them a hug, and tell them that I love them.”

We treat on average five critically injured people each day. Please consider joining our regular giving scheme. Your support will help us save lives in London every day. 

Donate Monthly

Back to Our Patients